Wednesday, January 18, 2012

NEWS: Channing Tatum Talks GI Joe: Retaliation


Channing ''Duke'' Tatum sat down recently to discuss - among other things - his role in the upcoming movie GI Joe: Retaliation, an interview that sheds a little more light on his involvement in the movie...

The full interview - which appears at CraveOnline - sees Channing discuss his roles in Haywire and 21 Jump Street but the interesting part - at least from a toy collectors' point of view - comes when the discussion turns to his role in GI Joe: Retaliation.

Are there girls in ‘G.I. Joe Retaliation’ who can kick your ass?
No. I don’t think so. Oh no, there was a French martial artist. I don’t know, I’ve never really seen her fight. I wasn’t really in any of the scenes that she was in so I don’t really know what her capabilities are. She’s insanely beautiful in her movements, just elegant like I don’t even know. I wish I would’ve stayed to get to watch her fight though, do her scenes. She’s a very good athlete for sure.

The Rock and Bruce Willis are awesome, but is it bittersweet that the big guys come in and take some of the lead?
No, no, not at all to me. I’m very, very happy with the arrangement for sure.

Is there room for the original team in the sequel?
You’re going to have to watch the movie on that one, sorry.

Well the trailer is awesome. Did Jon Chu bring any of his ‘Step Up’ style to it?
I’m sure. I love Jon. Jon has his finger on the pulse of, I don’t want to say pop, but of the youth. I think he brings a youthfulness and an edgy hipness to it that I think the first one didn’t have.

And you wanted the sequel to get darker and edgier, right?
Yeah, I don't know if it got darker. I just think it got edgier and more current and hip and it didn’t go so far into the CGI technical world. It really got more, I think Jon uses the words “boots on the ground” to describe it. More hand to hand stuff and just normal guns and normal soldiering.

Did you get to do the mountain repelling scene?
I did not. I wish I did. That would’ve been fun.

Most people who've seen the GI Joe: Retaliation trailer picked-up on the fact that Tatum's involvement in the movie was minimal but the above comments certainly seem to confirm the fact that this is not a Duke-centric movie.

Are you happy with a Duke-lite sequel? Or are you excited to see if Roadblock can step up to the plate? As ever, we'd love to hear your feedback!

4 comments:

  1. I hope they didn't kill Duke because G.I. Joe without Duke is like pancake without butter and syrup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt they will to be honest. Keep in mind that even though this is GI Joe II, a lot of people won't have seen the original. So to introduce the 'hero' then kill him off will leave new viewers confused. I'm predicting he'll vanish and turn-up at the end with reinforcements or something...

      Delete
  2. I'm betting on that one too. After establishing Duke as the main Joe for years, it makes no sense to kill him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they'll retire Conrad Hauser and introduce a ''new'' Duke, given that Channing Tatum doesn't really seem interested in playing the role that much...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...