Wednesday, March 7, 2012

NEWS: Onell Design Teases ''Sentient Structure'' Pieces


Beyond the fact that this is an image from the latest round of updates at Onell Design and may make it into this month's round of releases, I've no idea what it is either... But that's not going to stop me from speculating...

In the latest updates at the Glyos Transmission Web Log, Matt posted something that might give us a clue as to what these white, angular pieces could be:

I've always loved the idea of sentient structures. Imagine if all the bricks in a building could think and move at a moments notice, reconfiguring into whatever design was requested, for whatever condition might arise.

I used to play with my construction blocks when I was a kid in such a way. Each block was alive and would work in unison with the other shapes. I had so much fun messing around with the simplest of things.


In the 80's I discovered the amazing moving geometric puzzles that would later become a craze that swept the entire world. Rubik's Cube, Rubik's Magic Links, The Missing Link and the Magic Snake all drove me crazy. Especially the Magic Snake. I just wished that it could have come apart without breaking in the process. Do you guys remember these classics? 

All these years later, I find myself wanting to revisit the "Sentient Structure" idea more than ever. This new project hopefully brings that old idea closer to reality, while paying deep homage to those classic puzzles and a few "Micro" themed playsets from the late 70's in the process

Now this is pure speculation on my part, but given Matt's references above to Rubik's Cubes and Magic Snakes, could this upcoming, secret part - which was intended to be released alongside the Glyos Block - be some kind of joint piece used to connect the Blocks in new, flexible ways?

Matt also posted a few teasers regarding what else we could expect to see in the drop:

Expect something a little different as far as color selections go, something that I've personally wanted to do ever since multiple character and accessory molds were created. It will seem kind of boring to some of you at first, but I'm hoping that once the building commences, my intentions will become clear and make a little bit of sense. 

Visit the Glyos Transmission Web Log for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...