Thursday, February 24, 2011

VIDEO VIEW: Alien Action Figure (1979)


Ah, toy manufacturers. Is there nothing they won't license? Given that Alien was an incredibly tense and at times very gory movie, it's quite surprising to see this toy even existed, let alone was advertised on TV. Keep in mind this was in the pre-Terminator 2 friendlification of the Big Bad Monster...

I actually owned this toy as a child (and passed it onto a friend, sans head-cover, just a few years ago.) My guess is the toy wasn't very popular, as I bought mine for 1.99 GBP - which was about the same price as a Star Wars figure at the time. Last time I checked, they were selling - granted in Mint Condition - for 100 times that...

It wasn't the greatest of action figures - the articulation was too limited - but it provided hours of fun spent chasing my Space Ranger Action Man...

2 comments:

  1. I remember having this figure too.

    Somehow along with those childhood memories I vaugely remember watching a viewmaster with some scenes from the movie.

    And strangely associating the Queen song "Another one bites the dust" with the Alien movie.

    It was the 70's after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother had the photo novel (Plastic Fetish did a thing on it recently), which I read over and over as I was too young to go to the movies to see it...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...