Monday, January 31, 2011

NEWS: Thundercats 2011 Toys Available for Pre-Order


As we all know, Thundercats was one of the most awesome cartoons ever made. OK, so I was too old to watch it and yes, it did produce an entire generation of Furries (Cheetara, it's all your fault) but how could you resist that widdly-widdly-wooo guitar work, great character designs and awesome animation?

Anyway, Big Bad Toy Store are offering pre-orders on the new line of toys that are set to tie-in with the upcoming reboot of the series. Although there's not much to see (and no images of the toys yet), it does offer an insight (beyond sight!) into the range, which consists of 4'' figures, vehicles and playsets.


Confirmed for the first wave of releases are figures of Lion-O, Mumm-Ra (described as ''Mumm-Ra (Mummy)'' so can we assume there'll also be a non-mummy version?) and Tygra, along with a Tower of Omens playset, ''Basic Vehicle with Figure'' toys (will each character have their own transportation?) and a ''Deluxe Thundertank.''

Basic figures are listed at $7.99 with the Tower of Omens being the most expensive toy, at $41.99. Keep in mind that these are Big Bad Toy Store's prices and so they may vary at retail.

Interestingly, there's also a set of ''Collector's'' 6" and 8'' figures. Whether these are of the original or new characters has yet to be confirmed.

UPDATE: Soundwave810 kindly provided a link to some images in the comment section below (thanks!) I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the look of the toys - they appear to be using that same kind of angular-rendering as seen in the Justice League range, which works fine on paper but I feel never translates well into 3D. 

More as we get it.

13 comments:

  1. Am going to be very interested in this new line once i see more of it. Am hoping Mumm-Ra and Grune will look all sorts of awesome. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it'll be interesting to see the figures. I notice Wiley Kit and Kat don't appear on the cartoon image that's floating around online - I wonder if they've been dropped from the series, given that Lion-O is supposed to be a little more immature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe but i would hate to see those two not on the show or Snarf for that matter even though i was not the biggest fans of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I can gather, the new show is attempting to ''boil down'' the original to what was important and make it all fit together in a more rational, less-layered manner. Whether that's a good thing or not I'm not sure, but if it means more focus on a core group rather than including ''comic'' relief, that's fine by me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm surprised Grune is listed for the 1st wave of figures. I don't think Wily Kit and Kat have been dropped they show up on an assortment list. Btw there are a few images of the toys here, but I'm not sure if they are the 4" or 8' figures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Soundwave - I updated the story with your tip (thanks - I appreciate it!)

    As I said above, I'm not a big fan of that angular-style of figure. I hope it's just the photos making them look that way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No problem Iok.
    I don't think they will be as angular as you say.
    But does worry me is that they seem to have HUGH hands like the DCU: Infinite Heroes line. Hopefully I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, those hands are pretty huge. And I just think Cheetarah's calves look kind of pointy. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see what you're saying and I'm hoping it's just the hairs hanging over her calves. Another concern of mine is that certain figures have full articulation, unlike the recent Goldar figure from Power Rangers.
    What a brick of a figure! And he looked SO cool in the packaging... :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's true - I hope it is just a feature viewed at a bad angle. And yeah, I thought the joints looked kind of clunky, too. I'll have to see them in person to really get an idea...

    ReplyDelete
  11. And one other point, it doesn't appear as if Cheetarah has any form of waist-joint...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, you're right. But then again it is Bandai. Not to knock but when it comes to action figures, they are a bit lacking in the articulation dept.
    Never the less, I have high hopes. After all Cheetara has a V crotch (pointless IMO) but it seems they gave her a swivel thigh which seems ro balance it out when sitting. I think...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, the hip articulation looks a little more detailed than some figures. But looking at Lion-O, I'm not sure if his hips might be restricted by his armour. As I say, I think I'll have to see these in-person before I make a decision on buying them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...