Wednesday, December 7, 2011

NEWS: John Carter 2, 3... 4, 5, 6... 11?


John Carter Director Andrew Stanton has big plans for the Warrior of Mars in the form of not one, but two sequels that are already in the planning stages. But his ultimate goal? To film all eleven novels...

That's the news from Bleeding Cool, who recently caught-up with the Director to discuss the release of the first installment in what he hopes will spin-off into an entire Barsoomian franchise.

We bought the rights to the first three books when we first started. I thought, let’s set it off right because you never get time back.

The worse case scenario is that you’ll plan for more but only make one. But what I’d hate is that you’d plan for one with no preparation for the others, because it’ll show. It’ll really bite you in the back end.

I never expected anyone to say we’d definitely do more than one. It’s a huge risk for them… and It’s a huge chunk of change to make any of these movies, something this big. So it made complete sense to me, from their side of the fence, to wait until the movie’s out.

So if the worst is that it was just a writing exercise for me to plan the others and then I never get to do them, I don’t think I’ll have any regrets. So we’ve been planning out all three all along, just on the chance that they do go ahead.

My fan wish is that we’ll go to all eleven stories and make more.

Given that the John Carter novels tend to repeat the same plot devices on multiple occasions, I have to admit that I'm skeptical as to whether there's enough mileage for eleven movies. But what's more sobering is that - unless there's some seriously smart scheduling and a revolution in movie production techniques - it would take about 30 years to complete the series...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...