Tuesday, March 18, 2014

FEATURE: LoEB - Why Did I Buy That?

It's time for another exciting adventure with the League of Extraordinary Bloggers!

As you may (or may not) know, the League of Extraordinary Bloggers is an affiliation of like-minded individuals who convene on a semi-regular basis to compose features based around a specific theme. Once we've completed our piece, we then share it with our fellow League Members and, in turn, share their entries, thus increasing the exposure not only of each piece but also of our blogs.

If you'd like to contribute then hop right in by simply writing a piece and then sharing a link to it at the League's HQ over at Cool and Collected. Just remember to play nice and include at least three other Members' updates in your post.

So with that out of the way, let's turn to the subject of this week's assignment:

Why Did I Buy That?

Ah, Buyer's Regret. The bane of every collector. Although for me, I have to admit I rarely regret buying anything. You see, it's not about the stuff I buy...
Some Toys, Yesterday
Late to the Party
My problem lies with the toys I don't buy. 

I can't tell you how many toy lines I've looked at, put back, picked up, put back and then walked away from, only to repeat the whole process ad infinitum. In my everyday life I'm actually a pretty dynamic kind of guy. I can assess situations with ease, make decisions quickly and stick with what I've decided (unless something goes wrong, in which case I'll quickly formulate a solution) but for whatever reason, the second I step into the toy aisle, it's like my brain turns to mush...

Don't believe me? Then here, for your enjoyment, is my List of Shame, AKA The Why Didn't I Buy That Roster of Terrible Decisions:
  • When I was first buying Marvel Universe figures, I didn't pick up the Secret Wars double packs as I wasn't convinced they were the same line. 
  • The first time I saw the new Microman figures in a store (one of only three times I've ever actually done so) I passed, not realizing they were the relaunch of the toys I'd loved so much as a kid.
  • I always skipped the True Heroes toys because I thought they had poor articulation.
  • I didn't buy Lego until very recently because the last set I bought (in the late 90s) featured bricks that didn't seem to want to stick together.
  • I didn't buy GI Joe figures for a long while because they were ''military toys'' and lacked the fantastical element I like in my toys. 
  • The Call of Duty Mega Bloks figures weren't something I was interested in because... well, I'm still trying to figure that one out...

Who knows which other toy lines I've passed on and could be enjoying today? I don't even want to think about that. Here's to hoping I've learned my lesson and will be making better decisions in the future!

Dedication
I'd like to dedicate this piece to my wife, as without her and her constant ''just buy it''s my toy collection would be much, much smaller.

So what else is going on in The League this week?


2 comments:

  1. Yes I too feel this sort of regret often. Pass on that clearance toy? 10 years later is extremely sought after and valuable. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... The crazy thing is, with Hasbro (in particular) having such unreliable distribution now (unless you want My Little Pony and Transformers...) there are so many things I missed out on just by a matter of days and never saw again!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...