Monday, March 19, 2012

REVIEW: Lego Minifigures Series 6 - Grey Alien

Produced by Lego | Released 2011

After having so much fun with the Lego Hero Factory figures, I decided I'd take the plunge and check-out the blind-bagged minifigure line. And with my first (and so far, only) attempt I was able to snag the figure I'd been looking for - the Grey Alien.

How does he shape-up? Read on and find out!

Packaging
Each Lego Minifigure comes in a blind-bagged pack. The packaging is fine for what it is but functionality is definitely the name of the game here. 

For first-time buyers or those unfamiliar with the line, be sure to check the bump codes, as these will give you some indication as to what's within the pack (unless you're really into the blind-buy thing.) And I can confirm that the Grey Alien I received used the bump code shown here.

And The Review Ends
I have to admit: I don't get the appeal of the Lego Minifigures at all. When I bought the pack this weekend I knew what to expect, as I played with the original minifigures when they first came-out in the 70s, but for whatever reason, this toy has left me utterly cold. I don't understand the appeal, I don't see why anybody would buy them and I don't get why the line is so popular. Each figure is incredibly basic, the articulation is pretty much useless and at $3 per figure, they're overpriced. 

Yet clearly there's an audience for these figures but it's become apparent to me - having bought, assembled and posed the Grey Alien - that I'm not a part of it. Tried it, didn't like it.

So rather than continue trying to put my indifference toward the figure into words, I'm going to simply present a gallery of images with this caveat: if you like the Lego Minifigures, this is a fine addition to the line. For everyone else, you can continue in your state of blissful ignorance, as this isn't going to change your collecting habits.

UPDATE: Re-reading this Review in light of my recent ''conversion'' to Lego, I feel I was too harsh with my comments. In my defense I was going through a highly-detailed, high-articulated toy collecting phase and so perhaps the Grey/Classic Alien wasn't the best place to start, given how simplistic the custom pieces are. But having got back into Lego - and seen how creatively pieces are re-used and recycled to create new figures/vehicles - it ''clicked'' with me as to why people like these figures and that, actually, they are pretty cool. 

As for the price-point, $3 isn't really that bad when you think about other blind-bagged toys at a similar price-point. Perhaps it's less to do with the single Minifigures being expensive than it is to do with some of the smaller kits being great value for money...

Final Score: B

Image Gallery

2 comments:

  1. For me, the fun of the minifigures is how they can enhance the building experience, like so: http://toyriffic.blogspot.com/2012/01/truth-is-out-there.html

    If I didn't have a bin of Legos, I imagine these guys would be pretty dull on their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, maybe I'd need more to appreciate them but as of right now I've no real urge to get any more, you know?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...